Monday, September 14, 2009

Chunky Corn, Squash and Bell Pepper Summer Soup


It's still summer... right? That's how I was feeling tonight. I was in such a hurry -- got home from a CLE at 9:50, starving, ready for dinner -- that I didn't pay very close attention to quantities, so I'll call this a method rather than a recipe. Comes together very fast -- 15 minutes, tops.

Chunky Corn, Squash and Bell Pepper Summer Soup

1 large red bell pepper, diced
1 medium to large pattypan or other summer squash, diced
3 cups corn kernels (fresh would be great; frozen were fine)
2 tbsp olive oil
sriracha to taste
1 tbsp soy sauce
1/2 tsp smoked paprika
1 cup water plus more for pureeing

Cook the squash and bell pepper in the oil over medium heat about 5 minutes until beginning to be soft. Add the corn, water, paprika, sriracha and soy sauce; turn the heat to medium-high cook about five to ten more minutes, until the vegetables are closer to being soft. (If it is not already 10 pm and you are in less of a hurry, cook it longer so the vegetables are softer.) Puree in batches, adding a little water to each batch. It should stay a little bit chunky/have some texture. Garnish with saltines or whatever strikes your fancy.

Serves 3-4.

1 comment:

Samuel said...

I just re-read this recipe and I realized why my life has felt incomplete for the last month!!! I do not have any sriracha. I have been making do with this crazy habenero hot sauce I found at Trader Joe's but it is just not the same!