Saturday, February 21, 2009

Oh, Pea Soup!

As a little girl, I absolutely hated split pea soup. But recently the bright green dried peas were so enticing we just had to buy them. And when I got home from work the other night at 11:40 pm, I found that my associate had a pot of the most delicious split pea soup ever simmering away on the stove for me. Aww. This is Ben's recipe.

Ben's Split Pea Soup

2 cups split peas, about 1 lb (washed and picked over)
6 cups water
2 onions, chopped
3 carrots, peeled and sliced
1 tsp salt
1 pinch dried thyme
1/2 tsp smoked paprika
1 pinch allspice
4 dashes cayenne pepper (add one at a time and taste, so as not to overdo)
black pepper to taste

Saute onions in the bottom of a soup pot a little oil over medium heat for about 5 minutes. Add the carrots, and continue to cook about another 5 minutes. Add peas, water, and spices. Bring to a boil, then turn the heat down and simmer 2-3 hours, adding more water as necessary.

Serves about 4.

No comments: