Wednesday, October 1, 2008

Baba Ganoush

...and we're back. All moved into a new apartment in a new(ish) city; all settled into a new job. I even found a mini-food processor for $2 at a garage sale!

And I'm still really, really into eggplant. I saw these little red eggplants and, naturally, HAD to have them.

And, naturally, had to make dip out of them.


However, turns out they're more bitter any other eggplants I've cooked with; I'd stick with the long slender Japanese ones, or small globe eggplants, instead. In fact, I made baba ganoush yesterday with a mix of Japanese and small globes--it was far superior.

Baba Ganoush (Eggplant Dip)

Five or six small eggplants (enough that, when cut in pieces, they cover a baking sheet).
3-4 tsp tahini
1 clove garlic, smashed
1/2 tsp pimenton de la Vera (optional)
salt to taste
1 tbsp olive oil

Preheat the oven to 450 degrees.

Cut the eggplant into 1-inch to 2-inch chunks. Toss in the oil in a bowl, just to coat. Arrange cut side down on a baking sheet and bake until beginning to brown, 20-30 minutes.
When they have cooled slightly, combine eggplant, tahini, garlic, salt, and pimenton (if you want an extra smokey kick) in a food processor. (I like the texture, flavor, and color of the peels, but if you don't, you could peel the eggplant now. ) Process until smooth with some chunks. Serve with pita or chips.

No comments: